Boards and Committees Register
Dams Safety NSW
Dams Safety NSW is seeking expressions of interest from eligible candidates for appointment to their Board.
We are looking for people who have professional expertise, qualification or experience in dam engineering, mine engineering, emergency management, dam operations and management, public safety risk analysis and best practice regulation (including cost benefit analysis and business case development).
Dams Safety NSW is a statutory body corporate constituted by Dams Safety Act 2015 (The Act) which consists of five members appointed by the NSW Minister for Lands and Water.
As a member of Dams Safety NSW, you will contribute to directing the agency to deliver on its functions as detailed under Section 9 of the Act as it relates to the safety of declared dams across New South Wales.
The term of appointment is for a period not exceeding four years and starts 1 November 2022.
A chief executive officer is responsible for managing day-to-day operations of Dams Safety NSW. Staff are employed by the Department of Planning and Environment to carry out the agency’s functions.
The NSW Government is committed to ensuring that government boards and committees reflect the composition of the NSW community. Women, young people, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities and people from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Essential requirements for this position:
Professional expertise, qualifications, or experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Dam engineering
• Mine engineering
• Emergency management
• Dam operations and management
• Public safety risk analysis
• Best practice regulation (including cost benefit analysis and business case development).
1. Members cannot be an owner of a dam declared by Dams Safety NSW
2. Members cannot be a board member/director of a declared dam owning organisation in NSW.
$50,000 (Chairperson) or $35,000 (Member) annual sitting fee plus expenses.
As a guide to meeting frequency, during 2021 Dams Safety NSW held ten meetings.
• On our website - www.damsafety.nsw.gov.au
• Dams Safety Act 2015, in particular:
- Schedule 1 - Provisions relating to members and procedure of Dams Safety NSW
- Section 50 - Exclusion of personal liability
For a copy of the role description, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How To Apply
Submit a covering letter (two pages maximum) and current resume which, as a minimum, clearly details your professional expertise, qualifications or experience in the above essential requirements.
Clearly include in your covering letter if you would like to be considered for the Chairperson position or Member position or both.
Please submit your application to email@example.com
The recruitment process in brief
• Assessment of applications
• Shortlisting and interview of candidates by a selection panel
• Reference check and qualification verification of recommended candidates
• Recommendation of candidates to the NSW Minister for Lands and Water
• Ministerial and Cabinet approval.